Wednesday 21 October 2009

Thoughts from a Bucks volunteer

I’ve been driving for Contact the Elderly for almost four years and have been to almost 40 tea parties. Whilst this is hardly any compared to most drivers, I feel really close to my group and our wonderful hosts and hostesses. As our group gets on so well together, I tend to forget the age differences and I don’t really think of the difference we make to our elderly guests.

However, two months ago I started to pick up a new member, Derek, an elderly gentleman in his early nineties, whose family live a five hour drive away. Derek is a true gentleman and he seems to be fitting into our little group very well. His first two outings have been to very different hosts, his first to a beautiful house in the country, and his second to a lively house in the town, hosted by a young couple with two small girls, aged 2 and 5.


When dropping Derek home in the evening, I asked him how he found the group, and explained how our hosts are so very different. I was really touched when he said “I hadn’t expected to feel so welcome, as a true member of their family”.


I’ve been to so many tea parties that I know what to expect, but it’s only when I was shown the tea parties through fresh eyes that I saw how appreciated the tea parties are and what an amazing job our hosts do.


From a driver, thank you.

For more information about Contact the Elderly please visit http://www.contact-the-elderly.org.uk/

2 comments:

  1. Starting off as a driver in February 2008, less than a year later I found myself being elevated to area organiser for Portsmouth. I can honestly say that I get so much enjoyment from it. At the parties there is so much fun and laughter. I have got to know the guests very well and some have become good friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Liz,
    I am very glad to hear you like it.
    If you want to share some stories from your group then please send them to me; marie.holdt@contact-the-elderly.org.uk
    Best wishes,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete