Tuesday 27 October 2009

Thoughts from a Bucks volunteer

The group visited Lynn and Dennis this month at their lovely house in the country. This was their first tea party, and getting there was quite an adventure! We were given ‘house name’, ‘village’ and ‘postcode’ only (no handy street name) and internet maps pointlessly displayed a circle in the middle of empty space.

Plucking up courage, Pat, Derek and I set off and, several false turns, an impromptu stop for petrol, and some very helpful directions from a helpful man later, we arrived – just ten minutes late. And what a welcome! We were ushered into their cosy living room to join Bill and Anne, and started to chat until Sarah, Dorine and Violet arrived, ten minutes later, after, to my relief, getting lost too.

As usual, drivers scuttled around helping the hosts hand out tea and making sure everyone was settled. After this flurry of activity, we sat down and joined in with one of the three conversations taking place, until sandwiches and homemade cake and scones were brought in at about 4.

For me there were plenty of highlights: The sight of Bill and Lynn, deep in conversation about Malta and life in the Navy, Violet refusing my silent prompts from the other side of the room to be the first to try the beautiful Victoria Sponge and us both giggling when Dennis discovered what we were doing, Smudge the cat and their lovely dog joining us late in the afternoon, going from person to person for attention until Smudge found a happy home on Derek’s lap, our hosts’ incredibly polite and helpful 14 year old daughter not knowing where to look when discussion turned to teenagers’ behaviour on Halloween, and, my personal favourite, Pat receiving her first Harvest Festival hamper from the local infant school. “I’m very grateful, but I now know I’ve arrived, I now know I’m elderly!”

On the way back, travelling on the quiet, dark roads, Derek fell asleep whilst Pat and I discussed the merits of Strictly against X factor, and then talk turned to the harvest festival gift and knowing when you’re old. “the thing is”, said Pat, “I don’t feel any different inside than I did when I was 25”



To find out more about Contact the Elderly visit http://www.contact-the-elderly.org.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment